Thursday, April 29, 2010

Saying no

I'm not talking about to your child(ren), that should be fairly easy. I mean to other people. It's a good habit to get into while you're pregnant, not taking on too much, letting people down easy, prioritizing you and your family. If you're a Type A personality, then you will resist this, because, you've always pushed forward and gotten things done. But it is really, really important because you will have to slow down at least immediately after your child is born. The whole point of having children is to raise them, right? So you will want to actually be able to witness as much of Baby's growth as possible. Believe me, it happens so fast you blink and it's over (a big reason I desire to have more, I hope that after three kids or so, it will feel like I've actually experienced their childhood instead of blinking). I don't mean that women shouldn't have high-powered jobs, absolutely they should, but if at all possible, try to power back for a few years at least. The economy and business environment might make this at least seem impossible, but for women who want it all, there has to be a way to have a more flexible life. Obviously, this didn't work out so well for me, but a lot of companies would rather keep a good employee, even at 32 (or twenty, I can dream, right?) hours a week, than get rid of her.

But it's more than just work. It's also outside commitments. I previously wrote about how important it is to volunteer and be active in your community, but it is just as important to set boundries, particularly in unpaid positions, so that you are not being run right over when you least feel like it. Delegate, when possible, if you're at a point where you cannot do as much. Like later points in pregnancy and right after birth. You can always pick up volunteering later. The most important thing is to listen to your body, and listen to your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment