Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Never to early to be horrified by school lunches

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/20/AR2010042000916.html

Taking a look several years into the future: do you know what your kids will be eating in their school lunch? The above article is about the armed services complaining that school lunches are making young adults to fat to join the military. Regardless of whether or not you see your child taking that route, it's pretty hard not to be concerned. Ironically, after World War II the military was the one who got the federal government to institute nutritional standards for school foods after complaining that they were causing malnourishment in potential recruits.

But looking at a time in the closer future: I already hear horror stories of parents whose children imbibe tons of sweets and other junk food at daycare. It is really, really, really hard to counter that environment when children are being immersed in it from such an early age. One of the reasons we chose the daycare we did (even if #1 was only there for nine weeks) was because I had more control over what he was going to eat. What to do? Model what good nutrition is for your children. This is the #1 thing that you can do. Do NOT eat poorly in front of them and then expect them to gobble down the steamed broccoli. Bonus: you'll be more healthy, too. Also, don't let them watch television. Forgetting about the lack of exercise and brain rot sitting in front of the boob tube causes, it's also the constant bombardment of commercials for BAD food that causes problems. If little Timmy doesn't see 5000 McDonald's commercials a week, he's much less likely to bet you to take him there. I could go on, but I'm tired, and I think you've got the point. Eat healthy and remember, you are the parent, so say no to bad food!

2 comments:

  1. I think you must be tired cause I saw a few mistakes in there...unless I'm the tired one and am seeing mistakes when there aren't any? I wouldn't put it past me. ;)

    Shadi and I have been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. It's really interesting, and I wonder if after he leaves the lunches will stay fresh and healthy.

    It really is all about being the adult and not letting your children run your life. You'll be a better parent for it, and your kids will be better members of society. I was just talking to a teacher at school about the lunches at schools in America. It's sickening...especially since ONE woman cooks all of the food at my second school. There are 36 students and about 15 faculty staff on any given day. She cooks all of the food for our school, and the food for the elementary school just up the road. At my main school, we have about 350 students, and more than 25 faculty members. I think we have about 4 or 5 lunch ladies that cook our food from scratch, every day. So for me, hearing the American's excuses that there isn't enough time and it's too difficult is totally ridiculous. Also, it's not that much more expensive...especially when you consider what you'll be gaining. More attentive students, less destructive behavior, and healthier students.

    It's something I've been thinking about for a long time, and is something I'm going to consider when our kids are ready to go to school. That is why it's important for us to make the change first, so it's easier when we have kids. I want them to make good choices, so I have to make them first. And be the adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entirely possible, all that cooking is wearing me out!

    I think the expense part is increased because of USDA subsidies, which are usually prepared foods, like the omnipresent chicken nuggets & pizza. I'm doing a follow-up tonight!

    ReplyDelete