Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Breast health

As you get closer to the end of your pregnancy, and closer to breastfeeding there are a few things to remember to make life a little easier on you and Baby. First of all, get rid of the underwire bras (unless it's impossible due to your size). Underwires can cut into your milk ducts funny impeding supply and even causing plugged ducts. Plus, so much more comfortable for sore breasts to be in soft cups. If you have larger breasts it will be more difficult to find them (last time around my department stores had about three styles, combined, and that was only for a C cup), but worth it.

Secondly, quit using soap on your breasts. Or lotion, or powder or anything except for nipple cream, if necessary. How would you like it if your food tasted like Chanel #5? Right now your nipples and the vicinity are producing oils (you may have broken out, or at least noticed the increase) that serve to clean and lubricate the area. Let your body take care of itself and just use water in the last month or so of pregnancy and after birth.

Speaking of wet, once you start breastfeeding, allow your breasts to air dry as much as possible. You can get yeast infections on your nipples (and in Baby's mouth) which are really hard to clear up. Proper drying can help prevent this. My midwives recommend going around topless as much as possible. I kept a burp cloth around for leakage, but tried to keep them bare (just ask the neighbors!). Obviously, this only works around the home, or at the beaches in Europe, but certainly in the evenings you can at least go braless. Also make sure to change the bra pads frequently. I bought reusable cotton ones, which worked great and I could just wash out in the sink in the evening (I bought a dozen pairs, so eventually they just went in the wash whenever I did a load). At night I slept on my back or side with a burp cloth over my breasts, which worked really well and was so much more comfortable than sleeping in a nursing bra. And I leaked a lot, until about a month after I stopped breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding books, of course, also have a ton of information, but here's the basics to start thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment