Monday, April 26, 2010

Getting your Omega 3s

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/science/27qna.html?ref=health

One of the essential nutrients to consume while pregnant is Omega 3 fatty acids, usually found in fish, but also in other sources. Pregnant women are encouraged (usually) to take a supplement to make sure that they get enough. But I have issues with the supplement. How the fish oil is obtained is environmentally suspicious, and apparently the method used to make it for baby formula is that it is produced in vats of mold. Yuck. So I asked about other sources. Of course, eating too much fish (my problem) can lead to other issues (mercury poisoning anyone?), so my midwife suggested flaxseed oil. I'll admit, I have yet to open up my bottle (which is really, really bad of me!) because I'm still traumatized by the cod liver oil my parents made me ingest as a child (they didn't catch on to the capsules for a long time). But I must do this! Above is a link to a New York Times article in tomorrow's Health section about the differences between obtaining the fatty acids from flax vs fish. Basically, you need more oil from flax for your body to convert it properly. But especially if you're a vegetarian, this is a great option to have.

4 comments:

  1. We take a flaxseed pill with our multi-vitamin everyday. We should be taking it twice a day, but we're already running low and can't find them in Korea.

    Can I ask what prenatal vitamin you take? Oh perhaps, you could just do an entry on vitamins to take while pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take Trader Joe's prenatals, along with additional calcium and Vitamin D. I'm not quite comfortable doing a post on prenatals as I haven't tried any others. I'll leave that up to the midwives/obs to deal with :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's right. I remember you telling me about which ones you were taking. Yea, all that is important is a prenatal vitamin that has a lot of folic acid in it.

    Oh, I was talking to my mom today about how you were having a home birth after your first natural birth. I said I was considering it. She told me she didn't think I would be able to handle the pain. She said, "If you're anything like me, you'll want it." haha Thanks mom. I know it's a lot of pain, and I have really severe cramps, but if I take the steps and have someone there helping me, I think I could do it. Yoga has been helping with my concentration and easing my mind from the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest thing about labor pains vs any other type of pain is that you know there is an end, and soon. This was really brought home when I was having the back pain. I didn't know when it was going to end, and I was in pain for days and days on end, which made it so much worse psychologically. I think people can endure almost anything if they know for how long (within reason). And you do get breaks during labor, too. Even when I was pushing, I'd push, then fall into an almost sleep to recuperate enough for the next contraction.

    ReplyDelete