Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt

The last time I went to an Easter Egg Hunt, my brother was a baby (he's now in his late twenties) and it was at a big park with tons of chocolate eggs to find. It took a while and there was plenty for everyone. This morning I attempted to take #1 to a hunt at the local grocery store. We arrived seven minutes late (my husband let me oversleep) and the kids were already going home. With grocery bags full of plastic eggs. How times have changed. Apparently, it's now a pushing, grabbing, greed contest instead of a fun time looking for hidden objects. A very nice little boy offered my son some of his eggs (I let my son choose one, and promptly took the candy part away when he wasn't paying attention), but that was the only bit of manners I could see. Even the line to take a picture with the Easter bunny was full of people cutting and pushing others out of their way (adults, not the kids; half of them were terrified of the giant bunny). We did at least get our picture, and certainly my son didn't know what he had missed out on, but I worry for the future, both for children in general and for my children: not wanting them to act or think that acting that way is acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment