Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

If this is your first child, today is a good time to remember to spend as much quality time with your partner as possible before the birth, because you probably won't get a lot of it afterward. If you already have a child, today is a good reminder to find a reliable babysitter and get some quality time. Children are important, but sane parents are even more important. I don't know how single parents do it. When my husband is on work travel my son and I get on just fine (or the couple of times my son and I have traveled alone), but I also know that I only have to do it for a few days on my own, and the weekend he comes back I usually have "off". Remember to appreciate each other and all that you do for one another, particularly as during pregnancy it can tend to be a bit one sided (after all, you're the one carrying the baby, it's not like your partner can really help with that). After the baby comes, you'll both need to put in 150% effort to survive the first few weeks (and your percent comes from feeding the baby, feeding yourself and healing). It'll be a while before you'll be able to catch your breath again, so here's a gentle reminder to take every opportunity you have right now to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment