Sunday, March 28, 2010

Water

Something that I struggle with constantly is getting enough fluids. I'm basically built like a camel (not externally!) and feel fine with a minimum of fluids. I have little doubt that this contributed to my supply issues when breastfeeding #1 besides just not being good for me. It's recommended that during pregnancy a woman should consume 8-10 8 ounce glasses of water a day (64-80 ounces or more than half a gallon). I usually get about 48 ounces of fluid in me. The friends that I have talked to about how much water they drink while pregnant/breastfeeding tend to drink even more (up to a gallon). So I'm working on it. I'm using a liter bottle to gauge how much I'm drinking, and so far have been getting about a liter to a liter and a half a day, besides the pint of milk I drink with breakfast. The goal is to be up to three liters a day by the time I give birth and then keep up with at least that after. If anyone has any suggestions for getting more fluids in, I'm all ears!

4 comments:

  1. What? Seriously? I, on average, drink 4-8 liters of water a day...I'm trying to go on less, but that is what I average.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drink a ton of water, so probably am not the best adviser. However, I find that I can drink more water when it's at room temperature and not straight from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Remember when I was told I had to have a shunt put in my brain, when it was really dehydration? Like you I keep a bottle on my desk (or at home use a cup) and I know that I have to drink three of those in a day. Breaking it down really helps. Also it doesn't have to be just water, anything non carbonated, caffeine free counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon.--yep, I have to drink water at room temp, milk is the only thing I can handle right from the fridge. If my water is too cold it'll give me stomach cramps, blech!
    Kat--yeah, you're the champ! I was much better when I had a desk job with yummy water service and a desire to get up every hour.
    M-T--Ooh, I remember that! I'm glad you're getting enough now. I should probably put a bottle in every room :)

    ReplyDelete