Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kegels*

Before I had my first child (I know, a common refrain), I was the Kegel champ. Before starting Bradley classes, I was doing 50 a day. With the classes I was up to 200. I never really experienced the "pregnancy bladder". Then came childbirth. (yes, I know, I pushed too hard) It was difficult to do Kegels after, so I let them slack off. Big mistake. I am now making up for it. Sneeze in the wrong position: pee in my pants. Wait to long to go to the bathroom: pee in my pants. Try showing my son how to hopscotch: that last hop was just a bit too much pressure on my sensitive muscles. My biggest problem is remembering to do them, I used to practice on my daily commute. I'd start as I was getting on the highway and usually be able to finish by the time I hit my first traffic jam (I had a really nasty commute). I am every thankful that I do not have that commute anymore, but scheduling Kegels is more difficult. But it is something that I MUST do, or I will end up in a Depends commercial.

Don't be like me: DO YOUR KEGELS!!!

*just in case you don't know, Kegels are the exercise that flexes your pelvic floor muscles: it's the action used to stop the flow of urine when you're going to the bathroom.

2 comments:

  1. lol Do they work on nonpregnant women? I feel like I live in the bathroom. I drink sooooo much water and go all the time. :P

    I do at least one a day. Not thinking about it either. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you don't need to be pregnant for this to help. And to get really graphic, it's great to do them during sex. 1. Your husband can feel it and will LIKE it. 2. He can also make sure that you're doing it right. If he can't feel it then you're not doing them correctly.

    ReplyDelete