Friday, March 26, 2010

Upper body strength

Continuing with my theme of exercise for the week, one part of the body that is missed by most prenatal exercise guides is the upper body. Not necessary for pushing out a baby, nobody remembers that after birth, you'll need to carry your baby. All of the time (for some). You cannot hold, hug, cuddle or love on a baby too much. You cannot spoil an infant. The only way they can be comforted and feel secure is to be held. Which means that your arms had better be up for it! Infants are easy enough, it's when they start getting bigger that there are problems (like if you have a baby in the 90th percentile for weight). Contrary to old wives tales, your strength may not grow at the rate your child does. Particularly if you're exhausted from frequent wakings and breastfeeding full time. So yet another thing to add to the start now program. Once your baby is born, use the child as a weight: lift Baby over your head, do chest presses with Baby, etc. They get a kick out of this, too.

PS-If you posted a comment yesterday, I think I accidentally erased it. I'm not seeing them posted, so could you check for them? Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I posted a comment yesterday about the squats. I said I had lots of practice because of the traditional toilets in Korea. Also, I played softball for 8 years as a catcher.

    I heard some famous lady lays her baby on the floor and then does push ups over him and lets her hair play with his face. Then she lays on her back and lifts him from there to work her arms. I have to say that back exercises and arm exercises are super important.

    Are you able to do yoga again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but I can do yoga again. It's really hard to get any exercise done during the day. But that's just an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been bad about doing yoga. I've been sick the past two weeks and haven't been sleeping well. :/ Also, it's been hard finding the time in the morning. I might start doing it after I get home from work since I don't want to wake up earlier than I already am. I might do crunches and pushups and jumping jacks and some jump roping after I get up. Then yoga in the evening...I hope that'll work better for me since I feel so unmotivated to do it in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I used to have gym access I always went in the evening, it just worked out so much better for me. And doing yoga at night also would help me sleep better.

    ReplyDelete